[ML-General] Do we have any pilots?

Kevin E. Ivey ik04 at isot.com
Mon Oct 26 15:31:15 CDT 2015

On 2015-10-26 13:29, david wrote:
> Are there any pilots in the group?
>
> Or maybe anyone that likes to monitor airplanes going around,
> especially with the ADS-B?
>
> I've run across this really fun thing called 'stratux' that is (almost
> complete) ADS-B in and for less than $130.  Computer of choice for it
> at the moment is the Raspberry Pi 2.
>
> David M.

As a professional and military pilot, I have operated in some scary
conditions and used ADS-B as a primary source of tracking where there is
no radar coverage.

I have successfully used a Raspberry Pi and a cheap RTL-chip based
dongle to receive and serve position, speed, altitude and flight number
information on aircraft in a large, 200 Nautical mile area.  The Pi runs
on a wi-fi network and acts as a server for any web browser equipped
device and displays a map with all the aircraft.

The Pi software is 1090dump, and there are many other applications for
receiving and displaying ADS-B data.  For a total investment of $40.00
(including the Raspberry Pi), I think that is a good project for pilots
and non-pilots who are curious about hos the system works...

The commercial products are basically the same components in a sexy box,
with a sexy price.

</.02>

Kevin
K4IVE