[ML-General] windows 7 movement

Steve Boyer steveboyer85 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 10:38:25 CDT 2016

Here's AN idea (not the greatest, but an idea nonetheless):
MAKE A BACKUP OF THE HDD BEFORE DOING THIS
run C:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe as an administrator
select generalize and poweroff
let it run and after it's done, image the drive to the desktop via
something like systemrescuecd and partclone or clonezilla
boot the desktop
This will "generalize" the OS (generate a new SID, temp files, etc)
but leave installed programs on the drive. I use this technique when
making a system image that gets pushed via a Windows Deployment Server
to new installs within my group at work - I don't have to deal with
installing the same programs/servers on every single box and can get a
fully configured OS with all of the programs we regularly use from
bare drive to up and running in 15 minutes.